On December 5th, the WHS Counselors, along with Carroll Easterday, Director of College & Career Readiness, hosted the Grade 11 College and Career Planning Night. Mrs. Easterday presented Finding Your Fit: Career Development and Crafting Your College Search. She discussed what students should be considering when beginning their college search, as well as what factors are most important when colleges make admission decisions. Other topics included trends and developments in today’s world of college admission, and she introduced the College Application Book for the Class of 2018.
Following the main presentation, each WHS counselor held a breakout session with their respective students and families to discuss the nuts-and-bolts of the application process, including:
- Timelines for taking the SAT and ACT
- How and when to apply for admission
- Creating a resume and writing a strong personal statement
- Requesting transcripts and letters of recommendation through Naviance
- Current WHS seniors partnered with counselors to share their experiences using Naviance, and offered suggestions for managing the college search and application process.